- Promotes the appearance of clear, healthy skin
- Naturally repels insects
- Gives hair a vibrant, healthy glow
Application: A T I S
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Aromatic Description: Herbaceous, green, floral, sweet, dry
Main Chemical Components: Citronellol, geraniol
Plant Part: Whole plant
A member of the Pelargonium genus of flower species, geraniums are grown for their beauty and as a staple of the perfume industry. While there are over 200 different varieties of Pelargonium flowers, only a few are used as essential oils. Uses of Geranium essential oil date back to ancient Egypt when Egyptians used Geranium oil to beautify skin and for other benefits. In the Victorian era, fresh geranium leaves were placed at formal dining tables as decorative pieces and to be consumed as a fresh sprig if desired; in fact, the edible leaves and flowers of the plant are often used in desserts, cakes, jellies, and teas. As an essential oil, Geranium has been used to promote the appearance of clear skin and healthy hair—making it ideal for skin and hair care products. It also helps calm nerves and lessen feelings of stress. Geranium is also known to naturally repel insects.
- Add a drop of doTERRA Geranium essential oil to your moisturizer to help balance oil production.
- Geranium is great for both dry and oily hair. Apply a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner bottle, or make your own deep hair conditioner.
- Diffuse aromatically for a calming effect.
- Combine with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to give your partner a sensual massage.
- Apply directly to skin or enjoy an aromatherapy steam facial to beautify skin.
- Apply to skin after a shower for a smoothing effect.
- Add a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner for a healthy, vibrant glow.
- Apply under your arms after a sweaty workout or a day in the sun.
- Place one drop in the palm of your hands, rub hands together, and cup over nose and mouth and breathe slowly for a calming, grounding effect.
- Add to your next DIY potpourri.
- Naturally repels insects.